Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thoughts on Other than the President

First of all, I want to say that I think it's really frustrating that everyone ONLY wants to focus on who won the presidency. I love Obama and all but seriously, it's not the most important thing to happen in the 2008 election by my standards.

I'm so pissed at Maricopa County for re-electing Joe Arpaio who encourages racism, racial profiling, and, in my opinion, a certain amount of brutality and de-humanizing. I'm also really disappointed in Prop 102. I had more faith in Arizona - at least that it wouldn't be such a large gap between the proponets and opponets, but clearly that was misled. This country's current largest civil rights battle is being demonized - and I am ashamed to see the number of people who don't even see it as such.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, with all the political science classes you are taking, someday you'll be involved in politics. If you do choose this path, allow me to give you a little advice that has served me well over many years.

Don't believe what you read in the papers, and don't believe what you hear on the news, and whatever you do, check your facts before you state an opinion.

I fully agree with you about prop 102, but you couldn't be more wrong about Sheriff Joe. That is, unless you think it's dehumanizing to have inmates wearing pink underwear. That part is true, but I don't think it's dehumanizing. If the color of your underwear breaks you, then I'd suggest you toughen up just a bit, even if you're not in jail.

Sheriff Joe is a politician who follows the will of the people. Maybe you disagree with the people on this immigration issue, but the simple fact is that we elect politicians hoping that they will do what the people demand, and we're sorely disappointed about 99% of the time.
Sheriff Joe is a cop who enforces the law. Again, you don't have to agree with the law, but you can't ask cops not to enforce certain ones, while enforcing others. Maybe you think other laws are more important, and that's fine too. You have an ideological difference with the sheriff, if that's the case.

But there is no point in demonizing those who disagree with you, unless you want to join all those people who so foolishly voted yes on prop 102.

How is their opinion different from yours?